- 1.5 cups dried shredded coconut or fresh shredded coconut
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk or coconut cream (for fudgier)
- seeds of 1 green cardamom pod or use other flavors as vanilla, cinnamon, lemon zest etc.
- ⅓ cup or more raw sugar, coconut sugar or jaggery powder or date sugar
- a pinch of salt
- If using dried shredded coconut, pulse the coconut shreds in a blender to make small shred or coarse meal size shreds and set aside. Pulse for a few seconds, 3 to 4 times. Crush cardamom seeds in a mortar and pestle and set aside.
- Dry toast the coconut in a skillet over medium low heat. Toast until most of the coconut is golden. 3 to 5 mins. Stir occasionally to avoid burning.
- Add coconut milk/cream and cardamom, cook for 2 mins.
- Add sugar and salt, increase heat to medium and cook for 15 to 20 mins, or until the mixture completely absorbs the liquid and does not leak any moisture when squeezed or pressed.
- Cool to room temperature, them shape into balls. Serve!
- Keep covered on the counter for the day and refrigerated for upto a week.